Retyped from originals
38th Course – Examination Paper
1) Give your idea of the Following:-
(a) Lens Speeds ; (b) Resolving Power; (c) Grain; (d) Wide Angle
2) (a) Give the constituents of Farmers Reducer and some idea of its action
(b) What fault would you correct with this reducer?
3) (a) For what reason do we find that Pancro. emulsions are generally higher speed then, ortho?
(b) Is paper emulsion ordinary, ortho. or pan?
You can get the whole picture by tilting the camera or the use of rising front. Which method would you use and why?
5) What is your opinion of the F.24 camera as regards the purpose for which it is used?
Enumerate good and bad points
6) Name accessories required when rigging F.24 for fixed verticals in fully automatic control.
7) (a) Explain how to obtain a blank frame between bursts in the G.45 camera and why the first frame of each burst is at leastdoubly exposed.
(b) Why does the G.45 motor not burn out if the gears are jammed?
8) Name the units provided in F. 254 Rapid Developing outfit and state roughly how long it would take you to develop and
wet print a 50 exposure film. Show how you would arrive at the answer.
38th Course – Test on F.24 Work
1) Explain the uses of the following parts of the F. 24 Gear Box, and state how they achieve their purpose
(a) Locating lever; (b) Warm Wheel; (c) Compensating Resistance; (d) Meshing Lever
3) State wha t procedure you would adopt in processing an F.24 film which has been under exposed, in a temperature above
90ºF. Name all chemicals used.
4) You have been detailed to photograph a vertical line overlap. State what preparations and tests you would make before
5) What would be the probable causes of the following faults:-
(a) No exposure made but film wound?
(b) Incorrect spacing of exposures?
(c) Motor failing to operate cameras?
(d) Green light in Type 35 Control burning continuously with a flicker?
6) How many mountings are supplied for use with the f. 24 camera?
State their type number and for what purpose they are used
7) A vertical mosaic is required of an area measuring 6" x 4" on map whose R/F if 1:50,000. Ground speed of aircraft is 150
m.p.h. Contact prints are required to a scale of 1:9,000. F. 24 camera fitted with a 5" lens is to be used with 55% fore and #
(f) Area covered by prints when layed down as a type 2 mosaic
38th Course Photographer Qualifying
Final Examination – Ground Photography
Time allowed 2¼ hours. Write on both sides of the paper. Show all working, Question may be answered in any sequence.
10 Marks each question
1) What is the cause of dichoric fog? What does it look like and can it be cured?
2) Some chemicals are supplied in an anhydrous form. Which are these and how do they affect the mixing of formula when
compared with the crystal forms of the same chemicals
3) What are the advantaged and disadvantages of rising front and swing back on stand cameras?
4) You are to photograph a gent’s tie, coloured blue with red spots. What filters would you use to reproduce this on a print as;
(a) black tie with white spots?
(b) white tie with black spots?
5) What was the working value of an iris diaphragm fitted to a 6 inch lens when copying a 9 inch photograph to a length of
6) When enlarging a negative to a print size of 8 inches square the exposure was 4 seconds. What would be the exposure if a
new type of paper was used with a double the speed of the previous grade and with a new enlargement size of 16 inches
8) You are required to produce a lantern slide of an X Ray negative 15 inches square. How would you do this?
9) What chemicals are employed in Chromium Intensification and how are they used?
10) Describe briefly the Hand Held Aerial Camera Mk.11 (Patt. 5701)